Not the internet history you hide by private browsing, I mean history of the Internet!
I have done some research into some of the big names of Internet history by the creation date of Whois records. It provides an interesting angle on the history of the Internet.
How many of these do you remember? How many do you still use today?
- February 19th – apple.com
World famous technology company who brought us the iPod, iPhone, iPad, iMac etc…
- May 2nd – microsoft.com
Another world famous technology company who brought us Windows amongst other products.
- May 29th – doubleclick.com
Online advertising giant later snapped up by Google.
- November 1st – amazon.com
Probably the most popular e-commerce website.
- December 15th – netscape.com
An early Internet browser.
- January 18th – yahoo.com
Portal for news, media, mail and search.
- June 28th – dropbox.com
One of the most popular cloud storage services.
- August 4th – ebay.com
The number one online market place.
- September 11th – windows.com
Almost synonymous with Microsoft.
- December 14th – archive.org
Home of the WayBack Machine – snapshot archive of the internet.
- January 29th – bing.com
Now the second largest search engine, owned by Microsoft.
- February 22nd – myspace.com
Teenage social network and rival
- March 27th – hotmail.com
One of the largest free email providers.
- March 29th – facebook.com
The most popular social networking site.
- September 15th – google.com
Internet search giant.
- November 11th – netflix.com
Video streaming service.
- January 24th – mozilla.org
Brought us the Firefox browser.
- September 14th – icann.org
Authority for domains and IP addresses.
- December 15th – kickstarter.com
- June 22nd – blogger.com
Blogging website now owned by Google.
- January 21st – twitter.com
- February 20th – digg.com
- March 3rd – wordpress.com
- January 13th – wikipedia.com
The online open source encyclopedia!
- April 23rd – skype.com
Perhaps the most popular of the early Voice over IP applications. Now owned by Microsoft.
- November 22nd – flickr.com
Photography publishing website.
- February 14th – 4chan.org
Message board and online community.
- June 4th – instagram.com
Micro-blogging for photos.
- February 15th – youtube.com
Video hosting giant, now owned by Google.
- April 29th – reddit.com
Online news community.
- November 26th – pinterest.com
Photo and link sharing social network.
- August 18th – bitcoin.org
The biggest name so far in digital currency.
Interesting to see many of the leading domains listed have been absorbed into Google or Microsoft.
Perhaps the most notable period would be the latter half of the 1990’s and very early 2000’s seeing the birth of some of the today’s most used websites.